Red Wings Logjam Won’t Get Better On Its Own

Xavier Ouellet is back in Grand Rapids and Mattias Backman has returned to Sweden. For the time being, the Red Wings’ logjam on the blue line is resolved. Seven defensemen in Detroit, seven with the Griffins (Scott Czarnowscan was called up from Toledo when Ouellet was brought to Detroit).

That the Red Wings aren’t icing the best lineup they can right now is irrelevant. That one of their prospects is now disgruntled is as well. There is now a spot for everyone, that’s all that matters, fixing it is a problem for the future.

So let’s look at that future.

We’ll assume that the Red Wings don’t trade anyone (because they haven’t yet) and sign all of their restricted free agents. We’ll also assume that the Griffins bring back Nathan Paetsch and Brennan Evans because they’re a couple of blue line leaders in GR. None of the unrestricted free agents return.

That means that Niklas Kronwall is back. And Jonathan Ericsson. And Kyle Quincey. And Danny DeKeyser, and Brendan Smith, and Jakub Kindl, and Brian Lashoff. Ouellet and Ryan Sproul and Alexey Marchenko and Nick Jensen. Evans and Paetsch and Backman. Richard Nedomlel, currently in Toledo.

Joe Hicketts, who just made the Canadian World Junior team? He’s probably turning pro. Marc McNulty? Mitch Wheaton? Ben Marshall? James DeHaas? Not under contract yet but very well could be by next year.

The Red Wings have zero unrestricted free agents on defense next summer. Their two RFAs are Smith and Jensen, both of whom will return. In short, there are exactly as many roster spots available throughout the organization next year as there are right now. And in all likelihood there will be even more players fighting for them.

Without the Red Wings making a trade – dumping one or more players – their current roster crunch isn’t getting any better until at least the summer of 2016. That’s one more full season before there’s even a roster spot in Detroit available, which means another full season before there’s even a spot in Grand Rapids available, which means the Wings are dumping their prospects straight to the Walleye.

Or back to Sweden, in the case of Backman, ’cause why should he stick around for that?


I’ve been among the crowd clamoring for the exit of Jakub Kindl (and, to a lesser extent, Brian Lashoff) as a means to clear up the logjam. At varying points the Red Wings have said they’re trying to move Kindl but just how hard they’re trying is up for debate, as the Carolina Hurricanes just managed to get a sixth round pick back for Jay Harrison while Kindl remains in Detroit.

I see three possibilities: The Red Wings see value in Kindl and want a return that reflects that. Teams are interested in Kindl but not given his current contract. No one is interested in Kindl.

All three of these reflect poorly on Detroit.

If the Wings want more for Kindl than anyone is willing to give, then they’re overvaluing him and are no better than the Buffalo Sabres asking for Anthony Mantha for Tyler Myers. This is an addition by subtraction move, stop worrying about the return.

If the contract is the issue, it means the Red Wings gave him a contract that no one else would have.

If no one is interested, then Detroit continues to employ a player that no other team wants.

Red Wings Focus on Forwards at 2013 NHL Entry Draft

The Detroit Red Wings had said they wanted to find forwards to add to their prospect stable in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and they stuck to that plan on Sunday, with six of their eight selections playing one of the forward positions.

Only their fifth- and sixth-round selections were defensemen and they selected no goalies.

The six/two positional split was mirrored by the makeup by nationality. Six of Detroit’s selections were Canadians while the other two were Swedes.

The Red Wings had been slated to pick 18th overall but traded that choice to the San Jose Sharks in return for the 20th overall pick and the 58th selection. With the 20th choice, Detroit picked forward Anthony Mantha of the QMJHL’s Val d’Or Foreurs. The 6’4″ forward is the grandson of former Red Wing Andre Pronovost and was the only 50-goal scorer available in the draft.

At 48th overall Detroit went with Zach Nastasiuk of the OHL’s Owen Sound Attack. At 6’1″ and 190 pounts, Nastasiuk was described as “a high-energy power forward who plays a physical style.”

With the 58th selection acquired from San Jose, the Red Wings went with a familiar name in Tyler Bertuzzi. The nephew of Detroit forward Todd Bertuzzi, the Red Wings described Tyler, who – like his uncle – comes out of the OHL’s Guelph Storm, as “very aggressive and is willing to play in the hard areas.”

The Red Wings made their first Swedish selection in the third round at 79th overall, center Mattias Janmark-Nylen of the Swedish Elite League’s AIK. They went back to Canada for their fourth-round selection, left wing David Pope of the BCHL’s West Kelowna Warriors at 109th overall.

Detroit’s first defenseman selected was 6’5″, 231 pound Mitch Wheaton of the WHL’s Kelowna Rockets, picked in the fifth round with the 139th overall selection. The Red Wings went with another defenseman in the sixth round, the 6’6″ Marc McNulty of the WHL’s Prince George Cougars at 169th overall.

Small Swedish forward Hampus Melen wrapped up the Red Wings’ selections at 199th overall in the seventh round.


Former Red Wings draft pick Alan Quine, who went unsigned by the team, was redrafted by the New York Islanders.