Red Wings Call Press Conference with for Thursday with Lidstrom, Holland

The Detroit Red Wings have called a press conference for 11:00 AM on Thursday at Joe Louis Arena. Detroit general manager Ken Holland and team captain Nicklas Lidstrom are scheduled to speak.

It's expected that Lidstrom will announce his retirement, ending a twenty-season NHL career.

The Red Wings have not typically called press conferences to announce the re-signing of free agents.

I hope videos post here because...http://youtu.be/WwJ_XuAgMNM

Also since it seems like many are opting for the bad speculation and Homer's not scheduled to speak would that mean that they're no longer a package deal?

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 5/30/2012 at 5:40 PM

I think Homer is done, too. Thought that before this, though.

Edit: Moving this auto-generated thread into the Wings' forum.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/30/2012 at 6:07 PM

Press conference streaming at http://www.foxsports...pages/streaming

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/31/2012 at 11:03 AM

Sad day in the organization although we all knew it was coming. It makes for an interesting summer as a lot of money opened up. I expect number five in the rafters ASAP.

Posted by SYfanSD on 6/2/2012 at 12:19 PM

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a Lidstrom Night next season, though I kind of don't like the idea of immediately retiring a number. Between the Winter Classic and a probably jersey retirement, I'm mourning my bank account.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 6/2/2012 at 1:24 PM

I echo your thoughts on retirement of a number however, I think once a player achieves a certain level of greatness, it should happen right away. In this case, I think it will happen in conjunction with the winter classic so they can have another special jersey and it is a great way to officially hang up the skates.

Posted by SYfanSD on 6/8/2012 at 3:45 PM