Wings Sign Defenseman Commodore

The Detroit Red Wings signed free agent defenseman Mike Commodore to a one-year deal on Friday.

The contract is reportedly for $1 million, though financial terms were not announced.

Commodore was bought out by the Columbus Blue Jackets earlier in the day. He played 20 games for Columbus in 2010-11, scoring two goals and adding four assists before being sent to the AHL's Springfield Falcons.

In 2009, Commodore famously told the Columbus Dispatch, "Mike Babcock was without a doubt an obstacle in my career."

Commodore broke into the NHL under Babcock in Anaheim before he was traded to Calgary.

"I wanted to prove him wrong, I'm not going to lie," Commodore continued. "I used him as big-time motivation. I thought he put his best foot forward to bury me."

With Commodore signed, the Red Wings now have seven defensemen under NHL contracts for the 2011-12 season.

Patrick Eaves signed with the Wings for $1.2M/year, three years.

Meanwhile, Detroit target James Wisniewski signed with Columbus. I'll get a full write-up done when I can.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/1/2011 at 11:22 AM

Miller also back. Wings have withdrawn their offer to Jagr.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/1/2011 at 12:07 PM

Turning this into the free agent tracker thread.

For the record, the Wings have now signed all of their own free agents that they intended on bringing back. Modano is gone, Draper is very likely gone, Salei is gone and MacDonald is gone. Osgood is a question mark.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/1/2011 at 12:21 PM

I disappear for a bit and things go crazy. Flyers decide they just want to p*ss off the Penguins, pick up Jagr and Talbot. Meech goes home to Winnipeg (good for him). Wings pick up Mike Commodore.

Nuts.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/1/2011 at 3:49 PM

Here is what "I think" about all of this action:

I think Philly is retarded. If they believe Jagr/Talbot is gonna be any better than Carter/Richards then they have another thing coming. I know they aren't directly replacing the aforementioned players, but I think Philly is worse off.

I think Buffalo is retarded for signing Leino for big money... and I think Ehrhoff is over-rated.

I think Big E was over-paid... although he might turn out to surprise us all.

I think Commodore is a big question mark, but might turn out to be a sweet shutdown D man.

I think re-signing Eaves/Miller was the best signing of the day.

I think Columbus is gonna realize that Wisniewski is only good when he plays for a decent team

I think Giguere and Varlomov to Colorado is interesting. As well as Monteal adding Erik Cole

I think PIT and DET are better organizations for not signing Jaromir "The Highest Bidder" Jagr

I like Joel Ward going to Washington... I wish DET woulda signed him!

I think Florida is now Chicago South after signing Versteeg, Kopecky and acquiring Campbell. But they are looking decent after signing Fleischmann, Jovanovski, Upshall and Theodore. Darkhorse team for next year?

Where does Brad Richards land?

Posted by choyer on 7/1/2011 at 6:37 PM

Agree with a lot of that.

So far, Florida is the big winner as far as talent acquired but how could they not be? They were also the big spenders and they had to be. I don't think any of this makes them a contender, just lifts them out of the basement. Fleischmann was the second forward I wanted Detroit to try for.

I like Washington going after Joel Ward. He was the top forward I wanted Detroit to look at. There are a couple longer-shot guys out there still, though.

Buffalo... I don't think Ehrhoff is overrated but definitely overpaid. Leino is a damned mess. And they think they're still going to go after Richards?

Avs goaltending will be interesting to watch. Very surprised they didn't go after Vokoun.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/1/2011 at 6:52 PM

The only thing that sucks about all of this... is that I dont know who else Detroit will look to add. I still think they need to replace Rafalski... and it sure as hell isn't Ericsson. The D is now full already, and we haven't made any improvements.

Lidstrom ---- Commodore

Stuart - -----Kronwall

Ericsson - ---Kindl

OR

Lidstrom ---- Kronwall

Stuart-------Kindl

Ericsson-----Commodore

OR

Lidstrom---Stuart

Kronwall---Commodore

Ericsson---Kindl

There are other potential pairings as well... but right now Lids and Kronner are our only "proven" puck-moving D men. Ericsson has the potential to be a puck-mover but as of right now is not in that category. Him and Kindl are kind of in the same limbo category... If we were playing NHL11 they would be labelled "Two Way Defenders"... not a DFD or OFD. Commodore and Stuart play a similar shutdown game.

Where does Brendan Smith fit in with all this? I wanna see him in action this year, and i want him to play with Lids... plus the dude can be a puck-mover although it's probably too early. Tomas Kaberle?

Posted by choyer on 7/1/2011 at 7:12 PM