Red Wings Eliminated in 2-1 Loss to Sharks

The Detroit Red Wings were eliminated from the Stanley Cup Playoffs on Saturday night, dropping a 2-1 decision to the San Jose Sharks.

The win gave the Sharks a 4-1 series victory, advancing them to the Western Conference Finals to face either the Chicago Blackhawks or the Vancouver Canucks.

For the third time in the series, the Red Wings scored first.

Brian Rafalski blasted a shot from the blue line past San Jose goalie Evgeni Nabokov through a screen from Todd Bertuzzi at 2:40 of the second period, putting Detroit on the board.

The Sharks responded quickly, with Joe Thornton getting his stick on the rebound of a Jason Demers shot and putting it past Detroit netminder Jimmy Howard on a power play just 2:14 later.

Thornton helped put the Sharks into the lead at 6:59 of the third, stealing the puck from Brian Rafalski behind the Red Wings' net and sending a pass out to Patrick Marleau for a one-timer past Howard.

That would be enough for San Jose, with the Red Wings unable to tie the game while skating six-on-four in the game's final minute.

Thornton's power play goal was the lone tally with the extra attacker. Each team had four tries.

Howard stopped 30 of 32 shots on the night. Nabokov made 33 saves on 34 shots.

Notes: The Red Wings were without forward Patrick Eaves for the fourth consecutive game... Detroit dressed seven defenseman as the status of Brad Stuart was unknown until the pregame skate.

Another day spent building my deck, another night with the Wings facing elimination. Let's hope this one goes as well as my last deck-building day.

After being declared good to go for tonight's game immediately after Game Four, Brad Stuart has been downgraded to "possible." Patrick Eaves is out again with a hyper-extended elbow.

I've got nothing else. We all know what's on the line here.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 8:19 PM

Stuart in, Lebda also in as Ritola is out.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 10:03 PM

Wonder if the Red Wings can come back against SJ?? I dunno if it would be possible, however what with SJ's past playoff stuff and choking badly.. anything can happen right? Will see after the game is over tonite...

Posted by NorthStar on 5/8/2010 at 10:24 PM

I guess they are still calling interference.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 10:28 PM

Far too many turnovers in the first. Not good enough on faceoffs, either. But can't complain too much about a period where you kill 3:30ish of penalty time and come out tied.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 10:48 PM

Hell yes. And O'Halloran has nothing to say about it.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 11:06 PM

Right call but I'm not happy about Helm getting tripped with no call.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 11:09 PM

Of course.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 11:10 PM

Might be their only power play, have to score here.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 11:12 PM

Jesus...

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 11:15 PM

Second period was quite a bit better. More time in the San Jose zone. Helped by a few power plays, of course. The Wings need to be scoring on those.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/8/2010 at 11:54 PM

Jimmy had better come up big here.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/9/2010 at 12:01 AM

Thank gog...

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/9/2010 at 12:01 AM

No f*cking call?! Of course the Sharks score after that.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/9/2010 at 12:08 AM

*sigh*

In the end, I'm proud of this team's effort, which is all I've ever asked for.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/9/2010 at 12:34 AM

*sigh*In the end, I'm proud of this team's effort, which is all I've ever asked for.

I like this response!I'm actually not that upset about this, which surprises me. Now I will cheer on Vancouver or the Habs! Decisions, decisions.

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 5/9/2010 at 12:35 AM

Oh, I'm sure as hell upset. That just doesn't do any good. And I'm sure as hell not rooting for anyone else from here on out.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/9/2010 at 12:38 AM

Of course your not upset, its been appearent since the start of this series, San Jose, owned by the NHL would win. I have not seen such a unfairly called series.... well ever. If anyone has any questions about sports fixing just type in "NHL and Mafia" into your search engine. It's a shame the NHL is now the new boxing, but hey thats what it is. Talent just does'nt matter anymore. And I know it's coming so here it is, the wings did'nt play as well as they could, we did take some bad penalties, but when the national announcers begin to say WTF, somethings wrong. Don't buy anything that supports the NHL, and Bet-Man, buy knock-offs, or just give up the NHL. Spend that time on your kids team.http://thenhlarena.c...showtopic=42839

Posted by Datsukian on 5/9/2010 at 1:09 AM

All the Detroit fans are crying about the Hit on Franzen. If you look back at it the hit was a clean shoulder to shoulder hit and Franzen tried to play it out. I agree it should have been an interference penalty but by no means was it dirty. Now on the other had what about the Elbow to Murrys face that made his nose and lips bleed no call what about the cross check to Nicoles Face no call what about the Elbow to Pavelskis face that knocked out his tooth are they not dirty hits? You Red wings fans always cry when somethings happens to you and make up excuses. Look at the facts the Sharks were just the better team. You were out played plain and simple with the exception of 1 game. So stop crying about the hit on Franzen cause look back at the replay and see it was not a head shot. Detroit has played dirty for years and thats why they have been so successful but there time has come back to bite them. Stop crying and give respect where it is do.

Posted by sjsharks on 5/9/2010 at 4:20 PM

Gotta say this, Yzerfan, your Detroit Red Wings certainly did a good job giving some team a run for the money... my hats off to them and wow that has to be something of a shock not to see the Red Wings go back to the Cup Final for a 3rd year in a row...

Posted by NorthStar on 5/11/2010 at 11:46 AM

On Sunday, as we were discussing the game the night before, my son-in-law declared that now that the Wings were out he would think about supporting the Blackhawks, that they are young and exciting, etc., etc. (He's a baseball/football guy, not a hockey guy, except as he's been coaxed into it by his new family.) I said, "No, the correct response is that you will now ignore the rest of the playoffs!" (Tongue in cheek.) "Or," I added later, "You might watch but only with 'a plague on all your houses' attitude." However, I confess that I have watched a bit of the succeeding games, a period here and there, hopeful that Montreal eliminates the insufferable Penguins, and somewhat anticipating what promises to be a bloodbath between the Sharks and the infant Blackhawks (not my favorite style of hockey, for sure, and not likely to bring many new fans to the game). I was sorry to hear that Vancouver has been eliminated if only because I personally feel it will be a travesty if the Sedins never get their names on the Cup.So, we'll enjoy the summer, watch for Wings news, see what happens with Yzerman, Lidstrom, Hudler, Maltby, hope that the team gets a chance to rest and heal, and look forward to the new season.

Posted by OldBroad on 5/12/2010 at 1:28 PM

ok i have quite a late response here but in retrospect I believe the postseason was a disappointment. Yes wings struggled to get into the playoffs due to injuries but the team became healthy and produced. I thought coaching was the biggest issue in the playoffs for the wings. First off, Lilja+Ericcson pair caused late changes for the 1st d-pair and overall isnt a great pair at all. You all really think that sharks could beat the wings in 5 games with the current wings lineup? There was one time in Coyotes series and Sharks series where I thought babcock shouldve pulled Howard, he didn't. All in all, I believe Babcock gave up on his team. This includes Osgood, the 3rd and 4th lines (reason why Sharks came back in game 3 because babcock basically rolled 2.5 lines), and brett lebda.

Does anybody realize how well Osgood played the past 09 and 08 playoffs? I just thought he deserved some credit for those spectacular performances yet didn't even get a call for relief in any of the playoff games. I would say it was a blown opportunity being that its another year past for ozzy's career, he isn't getting any younger, but Howard gained a lot of experience. I really wish they would've gave ozzy a chance though, as howard's numbers were subpar in the postseason. He didn't make "those stops" like Hasek didn't make when Babcock replaced him in the '08 playoffs with Osgood.

Another note, Leino playing well for phily. Didn't get through his first full season before the wings pulled the plug on him. He plays slow and methodical and takes a beating around the net, all good playoff characteristics but not for 82 game seasons.

There's my rant, I'm already looking forward to next season though.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 5/21/2010 at 4:18 PM