Red Wings Rally but Fall to Devils in Shootout

The Detroit Red Wings rallied after falling down 2-0 in the first period Saturday night but could not get past Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils in the shootout, dropping a 4-3 decision.

Brodeur stopped Henrik Zetterberg, Todd Bertuzzi and Ville Leino in the tiebreaker, only allowing a goal to Pavel Datsyuk on Detroit's first shot.

Patrick Elias won the game for New Jersey, beating Chris Osgood in the fourth round. Zach Parise scored on the Devils' first attempt before Osgood stopped Jamie Langenbrunner and Travis Zajac.

Langenbrunner and Johnny Oduya put the Devils on the board with goals less than two minutes apart late in the first period.

Langenbrunner opened the scoring with 4:31 left in the period, sneaking in behind the Detroit defense to take a pass from Parise and put it into a wide open net.

Oduya extended the lead 1:56 later, beating Osgood five-hole on an odd-man rush. Osgood got a piece of the shot with his stick but it wasn't enough to keep it from slipping through.

Kris Draper scored Detroit's first goal at 9:23 of the second period, crashing the net to bang home the rebound of a Darren Helm shot from the right wing.

The teams traded late-period goals. Rob Niedermayer knocked a loose puck in the crease past Osgood with 5:17 left in the second to restore New Jersey's two-goal lead. With 30 seconds left in the period, Tomas Holmstrom tipped in a Brad Stuart power play shot to cut the lead back to a goal.

At 9:30 of the third, Patrick Eaves deflected a shot by Justin Abdelkader past Brodeur to tie the game.

Both teams had chances to add another goal in the third. Brad Stuart cleared a puck out of a wide open Detroit crease in the first minute of the period and Brodeur dove on a loose puck in the game's final seconds, saving almost-sure goals.

Osgood finished the night with 23 saves on 26 shots. Brodeur stopped 28 of Detroit's 31 chances.

Detroit went 1-for-3 on the power play for the night. New Jersey was 0-for-2.

The Red Wings return to the ice Sunday at Madison Square Garden against the New York Rangers.

Notes: The Red Wings were without Brian Rafalski, who missed his first opportunity to play in New Jersey since leaving the Devils for Detroit in 2007. Jakub Kindl played in his place for the second consecutive game.

Wake up! Wake up! What's the outlook on tonight's game? We haven't given up on the season already, have we?

Posted by OldBroad on 12/5/2009 at 7:04 PM

Ozzie looks good, a couple big stops on the PK.

What's with the lack of HD? Fancy new arena in Newark not built to accommodate it?

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:24 PM

Great D there. f*cking hell.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:33 PM

Alright, that one's on Ozzie. Damn.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:38 PM

This team that brings itself upon the ice surface for the Red Wings is absolutely HORRIBLE. Devils 2nd game on a back-to-back and completely outplay the wings or whatever you want to call them. They should tank and get a high pick for once. I can't bare to watch.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 12/5/2009 at 7:47 PM

They should tank and get a high pick for once.

The Pittsburgh Strategy. I'm not entirely against this.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:50 PM

Still is early in the season, Holland not hitting panic button. I guess if wings can hang in there inn 9th or 10th seed until majority of players make it back then maybe we can squeak into the playoffs. Until then this wings squad is an in between Griffins/Wings. Griffings? Never seen a bad wings team since I began watching the Wings in '96, so this is new to me.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 12/5/2009 at 7:57 PM

I became a Wings fan in the 80s. I remember what not making the playoffs is like. I don't ever want to go back to that, but I'll live if it's a one-season reload.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:00 PM

Gritty, ugly play. Wings needed that.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:16 PM

The way Kenny paused while announcing the goal, I thought for sure it was getting called back.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:35 PM

Way to go Stuie!

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:54 PM

Good things happen when you keep your stick on the ice.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:07 PM

That OT was pretty fun. Too bad the game has to be ruined by the shootout.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:33 PM

Incredibly disappointed in Leino's shootout attempt. Meh, f*ck it.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:40 PM

I walked in the door just in time to see the shoot out. And I have to say, most of the attempts on everyone's part did not look very nice.

---------

And the fact that John Keating has said "New York" twice within the last 5 minutes irks me.

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 12/5/2009 at 9:43 PM

Mickey says the fans love the shootout because they're out of their seats. Interest should not be confused with approval of.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:47 PM

Regarding the shootout, I had the same reaction to Leino's effort, and honestly, I'm not so impressed with him in regular play, either. He doesn't seem to have the grit to protect the puck...(now I hope he scores limitless goals in the next 20 games and proves me once and forever wrong, wrong, wrong)....Also regarding the shootout, I watched a game the other night between other teams (one of which was Chicago, I think...damn getting old for sure), and I could not help but think that the Wings would beat either of those teams (it was the night after the Wings shootout in which Bertuzzi scored the winner) should it come to that. Whereas it would have been great had the Wings defeated New Jersey, coming away with a point after being down by 2 twice showed some pluck. They've been inconsistent over the last couple years...some games they just don't come to play, it seems. As you say, though, if they can hang on until the injured return (and avoid more injuries), I think they'll give anyone a fight in the playoffs. (Eaves was terrific again, yes? and Helm and Abdelkader....)

Posted by OldBroad on 12/6/2009 at 6:43 PM