Franzen Out Four Months with Torn ACL

The Detroit Red Wings announced on Friday that forward Johan Franzen is expected to miss four months with a torn ACL.

The injury to his left knee occurred during Detroit's 3-2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday night.

"I'm a little surprised because he finished the game," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "He said after the game the knee was bothering him and didn't know exactly when he injured it. The doctor said it was before he scored his goal."

Justin Abdelkader was recalled from the Grand Rapids Griffins to fill Franzen's spot in the lineup.

Ouch... Just as big a blow as Markov to my Habs. That sucks.

Posted by klaitinen on 10/9/2009 at 4:44 PM

He finished the f*cking game! It can't be that bad!

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/9/2009 at 4:55 PM

I'm trying to decide if it's better or worse to know of the injury when it happens. We're spared the Markov-like image of Franzen limping off the ice only to be blindsided by it the next day.He finished the f*cking game! It can't be that bad!

True enough and probably made it worse.

Posted by klaitinen on 10/9/2009 at 6:34 PM

Oh man, that sucks ): I don't even remember seeing him remotely hurt!

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 10/9/2009 at 9:04 PM

Let's hope Filppula and Leino can make that step up. I'm intrigued what line combinations Babcock will use, I wonder if he'll put Zetterberg on the wing on the first line and put Filppula on the second line, or maybe even put Cleary on the first line.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/10/2009 at 1:54 PM

You're right about Filppula, Leino and Zetterberg being called on to step up. Line combos from today's skate are a part of the pregame notes for tonight's game.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/10/2009 at 2:55 PM