Red Wings Sign Leino to Two-Year Deal

After losing several free agents last week, the Detroit Red Wings retained the services of one on Monday, signing Ville Leino to a two-year deal. Reportedly the contract is worth $1.6 million.

Leino had opted for salary arbitration before coming to terms with Detroit.

In his first year in North America, Leino scored five goals and added four assists for the Wings. He spent most of the season with the Grand Rapids Griffins, scoring 46 points.

The Red Wings lost Marian Hossa and Tomas Kopecky to the Chicago Blackhawks, Ty Conklin to the St. Louis Blues and Mikael Samuelsson to the Vancouver Canucks in the opening days of free agency, a conseguence of being up against the NHL's salary cap.

Restricted free agent Jiri Hudler has also opted for salary arbitration.

It's 800k a year.

Posted by RRhoads on 7/6/2009 at 5:47 PM

Yay! We kept someone!

Posted by drwmike33 on 7/6/2009 at 7:25 PM

Very good news!

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 7/6/2009 at 7:58 PM

Just like everyone else I am happy to hear that we are keeping someone....

Posted by SYfanSD on 7/6/2009 at 10:18 PM

Just like everyone else I am happy to hear that we are keeping someone....I heard about Hudler this morning on the radio, apparently he is hesitant to go to arbitration because he has no idea how it works. Not sure if I believe it, but that is what was said.

I thought he already did arbitration?

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 7/7/2009 at 12:10 PM

He has elected to go to arbitration but the hearing won't happen for awhile yet. There's still time for the two sides to come to a deal before that, though.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/7/2009 at 3:14 PM