Red Wings' Win Streak Reaches Seven

The Detroit Red Wings won their seventh-straight game for the third time this season Saturday night, bouncing back to earn a 3-1 victory over the Boston Bruins.

The win was Detroit's first in Boston since December 23, 2000.

Chuck Kobasew opened the game's scoring at 7:52 of the first period. After a turnover at center ice, Kobasew and Glen Metropolit broke in on a two-on-one, using a give-and-go to throw off Andreas Lilja and goalie Chris Osgood before Kobasew put the puck in the net.

Henrik Zetterberg evened the game up with 4:56 left in the second period, smacking the puck past Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas off of a faceoff in the Boston zone.

Pavel Datsyuk put the Red Wings in front just 1:53 into the third period. Zetterberg carried the puck into the Boston end and blasted a shot on goal. Thomas kicked it aside but the puck came right to Datsyuk, who put it back into the net.

With 5:58 left in the third period and the Red Wings on a power play, Brian Rafalski wrapped up the game's scoring, beating Thomas on a blast from the point.

Detroit finished the night one-for-four on the power play while Boston was scoreless on three attempts.

Osgood stopped 22 of the 23 shots he faced on the night. Thomas made 29 saves on 32 shots.

Slightly-early start tonight in Boston, 7:00 compared to the 7:30 we're used to in Detroit.

Hasek gets the start for Detroit. It looks like Dallas Drake rejoins the lineup in place of Tomas Kopecky, a move I'm not sure I like but Babcock wasn't certain it would happen.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/2/2008 at 5:01 PM

Kopecky stays in, it's Downey that's out with Drake back in.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/2/2008 at 7:19 PM

Lebda pinched and got caught, Lilja and Osgood hung out to dry a bit on the two-on-one.

It's gonna be a quiet night in here tonight, I think.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/2/2008 at 7:23 PM

I'd call the penalty on Lidstrom a slash more than a hook, if you feel the need to call it something.

Huge, huge kill.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/2/2008 at 8:05 PM

That was one of the best kills I have seen all year

Posted by SYfanSD on 2/2/2008 at 8:14 PM

Two fluky goals for Zetterberg since his return. Nice.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/2/2008 at 8:29 PM

Nice goal by Datsyuk, great job keeping track of the puck and getting it back on net.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/2/2008 at 8:56 PM

Kudoes to Lebda as well for leading the rush and a great pass.

Posted by skyguy52 on 2/2/2008 at 9:08 PM

RAFFIE rewarded on the PP.

Nice feed from Lidstrom.

Posted by skyguy52 on 2/2/2008 at 9:20 PM

I thought this could turn out much worse, the Wings looked flat off the start. Glad they turned it around.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/2/2008 at 9:29 PM

I misspoke, Osgood gets the start. And I'm late coming to the game, a client phone call kept me away from the game for the first few minutes.Kopecky stays in, it's Downey that's out with Drake back in.Have I mentioned that I love the new Boston jerseys? Absolutely beautiful. The updated logo from this summer is fantastic, too.

Yes, Boston's Jerseys ARE sharp. I've always liked the BLACK, YELLOW and WHITE with the spoked B.

Posted by skyguy52 on 2/3/2008 at 2:30 AM

This game was another example of how we always find a way to win

Posted by SYfanSD on 2/3/2008 at 10:50 AM