Red Wings Eliminated Comeback Falls Short as Ducks Advance

Three third-period goals by the Detroit Red Wings weren't enough on Tuesday night. The Anaheim Ducks scored that many in the first two periods and added one more in the final frame to hold off a Detroit comeback and pick up a 4-3 win in game six of their Western Conference Final matchup, giving the Ducks a 4-2 series victory.

Anaheim will advance to face the Eastern Conference Champion Ottawa Senators.

Heading into the third period down by three, the Red Wings charged back, led by Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk.

Zetterberg got Detroit on the board just 3:15 into the period, deflecting a pass from Chris Chelios past Anaheim netminder Jean-Sebastien Giguere.

After a Ducks goal by Samuel Pahlsson only 2:39 later, Datsyuk scored twice on the power play to pull the Red Wings to within one with 3:04 left to play.

With goalie Dominik Hasek on the bench for an extra attacker, the Wings were unable to get the tying goal past Giguere to force overtime, ending their season.

The Ducks controlled the first two periods of the game and opened the scoring only 3:51 in, when Rob Niedermayer tipped a shot from the blue line by Chris Pronger past Hasek for a shorthanded goal.

Chris Perry extended the Ducks' lead at 9:52 of the second, putting the rebound of a Francois Beauchemin past a sprawling Hasek.

Ryan Getzlaf added a power play goal with 1:27 remaining in the middle period, also scoring with Hasek sprawled on his back.

The teams each took 29 shots. Anaheim outshot Detroit 26-13 in the first two periods but the Red Wings had a 16-3 margin in the third.

The Ducks scored once while shorthanded, once on a delayed penalty, and once on their four power play attempts. The Red Wings scored on two of seven power plays.

Pages: (2)

• 1
  • 2

Id like to thank hockey practice for helping me miss basically the whole round. No Red Wings for like EVER. Noooooooooooooooo. Stanley cup should be exciting though. I'm hoping Wings - Ducks is a new rivalry. Seems like it to me but only in playoffs. I mean we get to see Columbus and Chicago 16 times probably Anaheim once.

Posted by WingedWheeler on 5/23/2007 at 12:33 AM

What would be a good idea for next year... My opinion not that it matters..

Lang - gone/trade - Terrible defense and turnover central

Hudler - He showed signs of good offense and defense. Has potential and getting better. good trade value on the other hand.

Calder - Was hurt in playoffs I believe and taken out of lineup. Grinder type. trade value or keep

Lidstrom - Played unbelievable - I would like to say he will get the norris but it may be neidermayer

Chelios - age forty five and I didn't see one mistake out of him, he stepped it up! One year contract?

Lilja- was terrible in the regular season but STEPPED UP bigtime in the playoffs. Only big hitter we had. One bad giveaway.

Draper - Good on the faceoffs, penalty killing. Played his role.

Maltby - good on penalty kill

Holmstrom - took some dumb penalties but was the heart and soul of the team.

Datsyuk - Stepped it up in the playoffs, He's getting better and better

Zetterberg - Getting better and better

Cleary - Pitbull, great playoffs and getting better.

Samuelsson - Getting better and better as well.

Lebda - Future d-man, good wheels

Schneider - Broken wrist but before that he was playing very good. Best shot on the team.

Markov - Played really good in playoffs.

Filpulla - Getting better and better, Nice O and D.

Franzen - Perfect New NHL player.

Kopecky - Another New NHL player with a lot of potential.

Quincey - Solid D. Plays a whole lot like kronwall without the offense.

Kronwall - Hurt yet again, getting better.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 5/23/2007 at 2:30 AM

I really liked how Markov was playing. He was awesome.

Posted by RRhoads on 5/23/2007 at 4:52 AM

I really liked how Markov was playing. He was awesome.

I second that .... He got better the deeper into the play-offs. He made some awesome plays both ways. I was really hoping he would get rewarded with a goal. He came close a couple of times. Made some great hits as well.The Entire RED WING D was GREAT. Everyone stepped up.

Posted by skyguy52 on 5/23/2007 at 6:44 AM

Wow what a game, great 3rd period for wings but too little too late. Wings blew their opportunity to take the series over in game 4 and 5. In game 6, I tried the "lucky ice cream" and it worked for the third time now hahaha. It was so awesome to see the wings come back in this game. Great hockey this whole playoffs I'm not even disappointed because of wings loss. Its a shame some people don't like hockey. Wings weren't even supposed to beat the sharks (nor the flames somehow) but they were fun to watch. Good run for the wings and many young players gained experience for the wings. Now that the dust has cleared no sugarcoatin' here....What would be a good idea for next year... My opinion not that it matters..Lang - gone/trade - Terrible defense and turnover centralBertuzzi - gone/trade - No defense in the playoffs, dont sign again because we'll lose a draft pickKeep Hasek if he can still play otherwise start osgood and have a YOUNG backup goalie that we need to start developing.

drop all of these players and sign Giguere.. he's a free agent.

Posted by RRhoads on 5/23/2007 at 6:58 AM

I dunno about that. The sad reality is that in the cap era it is hard to pay a top flight goalie and still have a decent team to play in front of him. Just ask Vancouver. If Hasek has another year in the tank he's gonna want a raise, but nowhere near the big money Giggy will command, especially after a run to the finals.

Hasek was not the problem this year. Being without Schneider and Kronwall means the Wings had to put fill-ins to cover almost 44 minutes per game (based on regular season ice time). A gimpy Calder and half-assed Bertuzzi didn't help either.

With the bulk of the current crew, I think the Wings have one more run in them. Then it will be time to get young like the rest of the NHL. With some good young pieces in place I regret to say, as a non-Wings supporter, that they will not have to rebuild...They can just reload.

So for next year, get Bertuzzi back in on the cheap, I don't think Chelios will ever retire and talk that nutjob Hasek into giving it one more go. If next season is unsuccessful, then it's time for the reload.

Posted by Stormo on 5/23/2007 at 10:32 AM

Atleast we wouldn't have to play against him.

Posted by RRhoads on 5/23/2007 at 1:59 PM

I'm sick of these old goalies. Can we get someone new for once. I don't even want to see Osgood either. I'd prefer someone I've never heard of lol.

Posted by WingedWheeler on 5/23/2007 at 5:43 PM

I used to remember the three backup goalies we had in development but I've forgotten there names since the last time we've even used or recognized them. I think Stephan Liv was one of them, I remember Lamothe was pretty good. Macdonald sucked. Those are the three I can think of.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 5/23/2007 at 10:16 PM

drop all of these players and sign Giguere.. he's a free agent.

Unless a big deal is offered by Holland expect Giguere to stay in Anaheim, no reason to leave their team.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 5/23/2007 at 10:19 PM

Well RRhoads...it seems we have a split decision. Drew Sharp agrees with you and the guy from Spector's agrees with me. Reality will be the tiebreaker.

DETROIT NEWS/DETROIT FREE PRESS/MLIVE.COM: all reported on the potential off-season plans of Red Wings GM Ken Holland. Bob Wojnowski reports rising stars like Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg provide the Wings with a bright future but suggests the club needs better scoring help than Kyle Calder and Todd Bertuzzi, while Ted Kulfan and Eric Lacy suggest the biggest question facing Holland this summer is whether or not Dominik Hasek returns for another season. Drew Sharp however believes the Wings should forget about retaining Hasek and attempt to sign J.S. Giguere when he hits this summer's UFA market. Ansar Khan reports Holland will have between $10 million-$13 million to spend on a goaltender, three defencemen and two forwards.

Spector's Note: Given the limited cap space and the number of players Holland needs to sign to flesh out his roster for next season, I think we can forget about Giguere becoming a Red Wings.

Posted by Stormo on 5/25/2007 at 12:10 PM