Williams Dealt, Calder Acquired in Three-Team Deal

The Detroit Red Wings made their first move of the 2007 NHL Trade deadline Monday night, dealing away Jason Williams and acquiring Kyle Calder in a three-team deal.

Longtime Red Wing Williams was sent to the Chicago Blackhawks, who Detroit will visit on Tuesday night.

In turn, the Blackhawks shipped defenseman Lasse Kukkonen and a third-round draft pick to the Philadelphia Flyers, who then sent Calder to Detroit.

Calder is playing out a one-year deal he signed with Chicago last summer, before the Blackhawks traded him to Philadelphia for Michal Handzus. He has nine goals and 12 assists for 21 points in 59 games.

"He's had a tough season, but he's a proven NHL player," Detroit head coach Mike Babcock said on Monday night. "He works, works and works and he'll make us a harder team to play against."

Williams is in the first year of a two-year deal he signed with the Red Wings in July. He has 11 goals and 15 assists for 26 points in 58 games.

The Wings have completed a three-team deal with Chicago and Philly.

Jason Williams heads to Chicago, Lasse Kukkonen & a #3 go to the Flyers, Kyle Calder comes to Detroit.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/26/2007 at 8:27 PM

Seems like a lateral move. Calder's stats are quite a bit worse this year but I remember liking him when he was with Chicago. His deal only runs through this season and Williams' was for another year, maybe more financially-motivated? Making another move for someone who wants an extension before accepting a trade?

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/26/2007 at 8:51 PM

Too early to tell. At this point I'm thinking a 5'11" nobody isn't exactly the man I was dreaming of. I hope he is a transaction player the bigger package. Although, I'm not quite familiar with him, honestly I'm thinking... what the f*ck ever!Well, looks as though Wings have around 2Mil to play with monetarily at this point. I really am having a hard time believing that we would give up Williams for a Minus 31 player with only 21 points this season. Just doesn't add up!Go Wings.

Posted by Glove_Dropper on 2/26/2007 at 8:58 PM

Another slightly interesting thing... griffinshockey.com says that the Wings called up Matt Hussey today. They had already called up Ellis to cover for the injured Cleary, does that mean that Calder won't make it to Chicago tomorrow, is someone else hurt, or is another move coming that would leave the Wings down a forward?

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/26/2007 at 11:28 PM

Too bad we let Willy go, they should have unloaded Lija's sorry A$s

Posted by SYfanSD on 2/28/2007 at 4:45 PM

Yeah, but why would Chicago have wanted him?

Posted by YzerFan19 on 2/28/2007 at 4:47 PM

I hear that, send him to the moon! Hell Dom at D produces more

Posted by SYfanSD on 2/28/2007 at 4:48 PM

Hasek at D? More like Hasek at Center or Right Wing. Dom gets more time sliding out of his crease than Filppula and Hudler get the entire game! Although I have to admit, It keeps me entertained. I do tend to get nervous when it happens though.

Posted by choyer on 2/28/2007 at 8:17 PM