Report: Lidstrom to be Next Captain

The Detroit Free Press reported on Wednesday that defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom will be named the next captain of the Detroit Red Wings.

The team has not made a formal announcement and head coach Mike Babcock said that the decision has yet to be made.

"I'm not saying Nick Lidstrom won't be the captain but what I am telling you is that we haven't spent one second on it yet," Babcock told the Canadian Press. "Anything written about it at this point is pure speculation."

"When I get back I'll meet with (GM) Kenny (Holland), Steve Yzerman and also with our veteran core, Chris Chelios, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Kris Draper, have a chat, and do what's best for our hockey club."

The question of who would succeed longtime captain Steve Yzerman is one that has been asked since long before he announced his retirement on July 3. Along with Lidstrom, veteran Draper and young star Zetterberg have been considered frontrunners for the captaincy.

If Lidstrom is named captain, both of the team's alternate captain positions will be available.

In response to Clarks article on Zetterberg I read that as he will be named Captain. Thoughts?

Posted by SYfanSD on 8/13/2006 at 10:22 AM

I kind of read that quote the same way. Or it could mean that he's going to be in more of a leadership role with an "A" and not the "C".

With Shanny gone, I think it's almost a lock that Lidstrom, Draper and Zetterberg will have letters, you just can't tell which one will get the "C" yet.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 8/13/2006 at 11:05 AM

lidstrom will get the C with the A's going to draper and chelios

Posted by gos03 on 8/15/2006 at 11:45 AM

You may be right about Nick, however if you read the article about Z's wrist injury you will notice Holland's statement. Also remember he wore an A last season, so at the minimum he will have at least that much. As far as the other A goes it is a toss up between Chelios (because of his dedication) and Draper.

Posted by SYfanSD on 8/15/2006 at 1:26 PM

I have a quick question about the next wings captain. Can anyone tell me the last team to win the Cup with a European captain?

Posted by MapleLeafsGM on 8/17/2006 at 5:19 PM

I'm pretty sure there haven't been any. Not after 1994 at least.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 8/17/2006 at 5:56 PM

So what? We will be the first in a long time

Posted by SYfanSD on 8/18/2006 at 7:50 AM

The Freep says that Lidstrom will get the "C" next year but the Canadian Press quotes Babcock as saying that the decision hasn't been made.

Elsewhere, Philly will name Forsberg their captain if Keith Primeau can't return. That would take the number of Swedish captains in the NHL up from four (Naslund, Norstrom, Sundin and Alfredsson) to six.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 8/23/2006 at 2:15 PM

With Babcock having a meeting with the core veterens who knows what may come out of it. Just one thing to point out... Chelios has been a captain for two different teams and took both of them to the finals.

Posted by SYfanSD on 8/24/2006 at 9:26 AM

I think Chelios' age and the fact that there are so many "home-grown" options virtually eliminate him from the running. But if the Wings wanted a transitional captain who would be out of the way for Zetterberg in only a year or two, he'd be the best option. I just don't think they'll go that route.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 8/24/2006 at 8:28 PM

I am not trying to say that he will get it I was just pointing out the fact that out of all of the potential candidates he is the only one with experience. Not to mention the fact he captioned the US to a silver medal in 02. I am all about youth in theis matter since we had such a huge success with Yzerman at a young age why break that tradition. If we want an experienced person we go with either Chelios, Lidstrom, or Draper. The bottom line is whatever is best for the team

Posted by SYfanSD on 8/25/2006 at 12:06 PM

As (somewhat) expected, we won't see a new captain named during training camp. I wonder, though, if that means that we won't know officially who it is until the Wings are introduced.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 9/21/2006 at 3:21 PM

Makes opening night that much more interesting. Whoever they chose will have BIG shoes to fill. It will also feel weird not seeing Stevie.

Posted by SYfanSD on 9/24/2006 at 3:48 PM

Longtime Red Wings' captain Steve Yzerman retired this summer and will be replaced as captain by veteran defenseman Nik Lidstrom.

Part of the feature post about the Wings on NHL.com

Posted by SYfanSD on 9/26/2006 at 9:21 AM

Everyone's taking the Freep's report as gospel. Not that I think he won't be, just kind of bothers me that they do that. If it was something less important, I'd laugh my ass off if the Wings changed their minds and announced someone else, just to make all the news agencies look like idiots.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 9/26/2006 at 1:40 PM

XM 204 had Stevie Y on this morning and the only thing he would say is the Wings will name a Captain sometime between now and next Thursday

Posted by SYfanSD on 9/27/2006 at 8:33 PM