Hasek Returns to Detroit Crease

The Detroit Red Wings have signed goaltender Dominik Hasek to a one-year deal, the team announced on Monday.

Hasek was a member of the Red Wings' 2002 Stanley Cup-winning team before retiring that summer. The following offseason, Hasek announced his return to the game and played 14 games for the Red Wings in the fall of 2003 before a groin injury ended his season.

After the end of the lockout that wiped out the NHL's 2004-05 season, Hasek signed with the Ottawa Senators. He posted a 28-10-4 record, a 2.09 goals-against average, and a .925 save percentage with Ottawa before his season was cut short by injury again.

He will join Chris Osgood - who he displaced upon joining the team in 2001 - between the pipes for the Red Wings.

As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not announced.

You've gotta be f*cking kidding me! Hasek? I'd rather have gone with Belfour, at least he would have crapped out early on and gotten out of the way. Hasek will stick around just long enough to be a problem.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/31/2006 at 12:48 PM

My first thought when i heard this was "What do they do when he gets hurt?"

second was "What do they do when he gets an attitude the first time he is benched?"

third was "Are these two goalies the oldest combo in the league?"

last was "This must be deja vu, cuz i swore this happened years ago, and these guys are way to old for the normally smart wings to attached the whole season to"

Good luck!

Posted by mike7psu on 7/31/2006 at 2:42 PM

My first thought is what the hell are we thinking. I know the end result is the cup, but we want to place that on a goalie that has a problem groin and an attitude to boot? I think we just flushed the season before it got started unless a miracle happens. Hope Howard and Liv are ready to go!

Posted by SYfanSD on 7/31/2006 at 3:41 PM

I was thinking along those lines when I first heard about it but, really, what happens if Hasek craps out on us? Osgood comes in and we're right back where we were at the start of the season.As much as I'm not happy about "The Distractionator" being back on the team, it looks like he came cheap which means that he can be tossed aside if need be. Osgood can reclaim the starting role and the team moves on like everyone expected them to yesterday.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/31/2006 at 4:03 PM

I hear Hasek is working out here in Grand Rapids. A stick-boy stands in front of the crease and hands him a stick. Hasek then whips it into the corner and trys to get to it in 30 seconds or less. I thought I heard a wail from east of here, this probably explains it.

Posted by Johnny Polaris on 7/31/2006 at 5:22 PM

HA!That reminds me, I should just record myself screaming "Damnit Hasek! Get back in the net!" now and have it on hand during the season so I don't lose my voice during games.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 7/31/2006 at 9:14 PM

Are we taking any bets that Chelios will call this another embarrassment like he did in 02?

Posted by SYfanSD on 8/1/2006 at 7:18 AM

Ok so we might (and I really mean might) have solved the problem in goal now what about finding a good power forward to fill the hole left by Shanny?

Posted by SYfanSD on 8/1/2006 at 10:48 AM

Holland's holding out for Anson Carter, IMO.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 8/1/2006 at 10:51 AM