Fischer Speaks to Press for First Time Since Collapse

Three hours before his teammates were scheduled to face the Pittsburgh Penguins and three weeks since he collapsed on the Detroit bench during a Red Wings - Predators game on November 21, Detroit defenseman Jiri Fischer addressed the media about his near-death experience.

"Not too many people get a second chance like I did," he said before breaking into tears.

He thanked those who were there to help him as he was sprawled out on the floor of the bench area, sobbing, "There's people that you never forget."

Fischer also thanked the community for its support.

"There's so many people who sent me letters and that prayed for me," he said has he broke down again.

He did not make any announcement about the future of his career, saying only "I would keep it to that I would like to return one day."

When asked about his daily routine of late, Fischer responded, "The last three weeks... I get up every day... and I live."

Fischer confirmed that he has not been - nor has he expected to be - cleared to play.

"Basically all the doctors... everybody... is trying to be as cautious as possible."

"You're not worried about anything else but being alive."

Holy sh*t, this is the scariest thing I've seen in years. Looks like either Lebda or Fischer is down at the bench. I swear they we doing compressions. This is not good.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/21/2005 at 8:09 PM

They finally confirmed that it was Fischer, possibly down after taking a puck to the neck. CPR was performed but John Keating is reporting that Fischer was breathing on his own as of the last report from a witness. Fischer was not taken out of the building.

Reminds me of Pronger in the 1998 playoffs.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/21/2005 at 8:21 PM

My wife and I were amazed and scared s***less when we saw that. There was no doubt they were doing CPR. And yes, it does bring back frightning memories of Pronger.

Posted by scooter13 on 11/21/2005 at 8:22 PM

They're reporting now that he's breathing on his own but unconscious and has been taken to the hospital. Looks like he took a stick to the neck on the bench.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/21/2005 at 8:31 PM

Waiting for another ambulance, they need one on hand in case of another incident, then it looks like the game will resume.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/21/2005 at 8:37 PM

Wings are reporting that he suffered a seizure. Now in stable condition. The teams and the league are determining how the rest of the night will proceed.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/21/2005 at 8:48 PM

It's good to hear that he is in stable condition.

Posted by scooter13 on 11/21/2005 at 8:51 PM

The game has been cancelled.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/21/2005 at 9:00 PM

And the right decision in my opinion.

Posted by scooter13 on 11/21/2005 at 9:05 PM

Just an update - WXYT will be broadcasting and webcasting the Red Wings press conference at 1:00 PM today.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/22/2005 at 12:58 PM

I was at the game that night and boy let me tell you, it was eerie. No one had any idea what was going on. There were no announcements until they let us know Jiri was at the hospital, conscious and breathing on his own. Two of my friens kept calling me on my cell phone with updates on what was being said on TV. I'm glad Jiri is ok now. Let's hope the cause is something that can be corrected and not a career ending consition.

Posted by shaney on 11/24/2005 at 12:30 PM

As bad as this is, it could turn out to be a very postive motivator to winning the cup. We all remember what happened in the summer of 97 that lead to back to back in 98. I just hope he is able to make a quick return.

Posted by SYfanSD on 11/25/2005 at 10:53 AM

Two news updates in relation to this...

The Wings doctor is now saying that he recommends Fischer not return to the ice because they can't find out what caused convulsions.

The game has been rescheduled for April 16th. I can't believe they couldn't find a better day, as this now gives the Wings four games in four days to close out the season.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/26/2005 at 10:22 PM

Ken Daniels announced that the game will not be replayed on April 16th, but NHL.com still says it will be.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/26/2005 at 11:54 PM